Roofing is one of the major components when it comes to home construction. There are multiple roofing options available in the market; it is highly suggested that one need to choose the type of roofing that suits your home, weather conditions and your budget. As per Forbes Advisor, a few types of roofing are being installed in the USA.
- Shingles (Asphalt, Fiberglass, Composite): Almost 90% of homes in the US use composite asphalt shingles because they’re affordable, durable and easy to install.
- Metal Roofing: Metal roofing feels like a stylish choice and continues to be a popular choice today because materials like aluminium and zinc are affordable, easy to transport, low-maintenance and beautiful—even with age.
- Wood Roofing: Wood roofing pairs well with cottages and Cosy Craftsman and Tudor-style homes. Wood roofs can last 50 years in dry climates but must be treated in fire-prone areas like California.
- Clay Tiles: Clay tiles are one of the most popular roofing materials in the world.
- Slate Roofing: Slate is one of the most durable types of roofing material and is similar in cost to clay tiles. This material can last 50 to 200 years. In addition to being fireproof and resistant to high winds and extreme temperatures, it is also resistant to impact from hail and small branches.
- Green Roofing: Green roofs (or living roofs) cover your home with vegetation like grasses or native wildflowers that support pollinators and have many benefits such as combatting excessive heat outside the home and reducing rainwater runoff.
- Solar Shingles: Solar shingles are one of the newest roofing materials. It may work efficiently for 20 to 30 years, but this renewable energy solution is an expensive investment.
- Rolled Roofing: One of the most affordable types of roofing, rolled roofing is quite popular with homeowners and builders on a budget and is best for roofs with a lower incline; this rolled material can be hammered quickly into place.